AIFF Media Team
NEW DELHI: Football is a funny game. One might totter at the rock-bottom of the league table one season and propel to the top in the next. This is the curious case of Chennai City FC who, having struggled in the last couple of seasons, have risen to the pole and are on the cusp of the lifting their maiden Hero I-League title within three years of joining the fray.
The Spanish quartet comprising of Nestor Gordillo, Pedro Manzi, Sandro and Pedro Eslava have been instrumental until now. Having scored eight goals and created another eight for the Chennai outfit, Nestor Gordillo has been one of the mainstays for the Orange outfit. The Spanish attacker, before taking Minerva Punjab FC in the league decider, discussed many a thing in a freewheeling interview with i.league.org.
1. Were you expecting to be on top in the final rounds of the season?
The truth is that at the beginning, it was difficult to think that we would be going to be at the top of the table, but we have worked hard during these months while enjoying every game. I think we deserve to be where we are.
2. Your partnership with your Spanish compatriots has been talked about a lot. How do you gel together on and off the pitch?
We have a very good relationship both on and off the field, and not only among us, but we also try to talk a lot with the local guys although we are not very good with English. The secrets of this team’s success are also for two primary reasons- the good relationship between local players and foreigners as well as the philosophy of coach Akbar Nawas.
3. What are your thoughts on the Indian players in the team? Do you feel they have the potential to make it big in the coming years?
Not only the Spanish players, but we also have very good Indian players who have a great future ahead. Edwin, Ajith, Gaurav Bora and others who have lifted their game at the right time to garner the result.
4. What has coach Akbar Nawas’ role been in the team’s strong performance? How has his advice helped you on the pitch?
Coach has taught us how to execute the strategies on the field and play a beautiful as well as an effective game to get the result. We enjoyed playing every game and I think that it is reflected week in and week out. According to me, he is the man responsible for the success of the CCFC.
5. How was it playing with the Atletico Madrid B team? How did that experience shape you as a player?
It was a very nice experience for me. Whenever you play with good players you are meant to learn more.